Disclosure: Some of the links on this page are affiliate links, meaning I may receive a small commission if you click a link and purchase something I have recommended. Please read my full disclosure policy for more details.
Stu McLaren’s TRIBE saved my business. It’s as simple as that.
How? Read on, friend. I have quite the story to share.
First, some backstory.
I started my social marketing coaching business five years ago. It grew out of my own success in direct sales and people asking me to come train their teams on value-based marketing, sponsoring, and leadership strategies.
Within a short time, I grew a free Facebook group to over 100,000 members based on the premise of leading with value, engagement, and authenticity.
Then people started asking for private coaching to build their own direct sales/micro-entrepreneur social marketing strategy. And I was quickly booked with over 75 private clients having basically the same type of introductory call:
- Who is your ideal client?
- What content will serve him or her?
- What is the value of your offering?
It became apparent that if I ever wanted to have dinner with my family again I would need to find a solution that would scale for all my clients. So I decided to create a private coaching group in early 2017.
I had never been in a private coaching group and had no reference point for creating one. My thought process was that if I bring all these clients together into one space, I could reduce the per-client price, deliver my content once, and the community would provide additional value for all.
Within a year, the private coaching community exploded to 3000 members on an open membership model (people continually coming and going) paying either $12.99 or $14.99 per month. And it was built primarily on word of mouth, which is very common within the direct sales industry. Good resources get quickly shared with teams, uplines, and peers.
I scaled my own team to manage the volume of members, including administrative support, graphics, project management, and video editing.
I now had a membership group…and realized I was in over my head.
For that first year, things were okay. I went live multiple times per week, created challenges, created new content continually, and had guest speakers often. Members invited new members and the culture was tight.
Everything was good. Until it wasn’t.
We realized we had many issues:
- We lost nearly 50% of our membership after the first year.
- PayPal was cumbersome and clunky.
- Everything was housed on Facebook, creating a major risk point.
- People were overwhelmed with the volume of content and lack of direction.
- We had tapped out our primary network and were struggling to grow to new markets and attract new members.
- We were spinning our wheels working harder to create new content for less and less return.
I naively thought “if some is good, more is better” when it came to content. So I created copious amounts. More lives, more printables, more workbooks, more value! And that led to a huge attrition driven by overwhelm, compounded by the direct sales industry which already has a high turnover rate as companies come and go and consultants launch and fizzle.
And then I found Stu McLaren’s TRIBE.
In March of 2019, one of my team members mentioned Stu McLaren.
I was in a unique position in that I already had an existing membership group. It was housed entirely on Facebook and had a bunch of issues, but we had one nonetheless and it was generating consistent 5-figure monthly revenue. So whatever we were going to do with TRIBE, we had to do while maintaining continuity for our existing members.
I joined TRIBE the second it opened and grabbed up every early bonus available.
How I approached TRIBE.
Because we had an existing membership already, we had to focus on fixing the existing problems before we could launch to new members under a new strategic marketing plan. Following is the approximate timeline we used to manage TRIBE.
Was it hard work? Yes. Was it worth it? Also yes.
April/May 2019: Phase 1
- Complete TRIBE coursework, including building a brand new membership Success Path.
- Close current membership to new members.
- Setup new membership platform structure and new membership content (we chose Thinkific, as it was where our video courses were already housed).
May/June 2019: Phase 2
- Setup new payment gateway on Stripe.
- Move all existing members (about 1500 at that time) to new membership portal with as low attrition as possible. This was our biggest challenge. I communicated openly and often about the overall program strategy so everyone knew what was changing, why, when, how, and where.
June/July 2019: Phase 3
- Plan public launch using new TRIBE launch strategy. We followed Stu’s launch model to the letter including workshop strategy and scripts, email scripts, and launch calendar.
- Conduct full public launch.
- In July 2019 we welcomed 484 new members to our private membership group, resulting in a 6-figure launch of monthly-recurring and one-time annual payments.
August 2019: TRIBE Live
I wrote Stu and told him about our success and he invited me to speak at TRIBE Live about our successful launch. It was a pure honor to speak on stage and share our story as a brand new TRIBE alumni.
It’s now April 2020. We have since done a couple small “internal” launches and another big public launch, bringing in hundreds of new members. We’ve reduced our attrition to less than 5% per month and put content structure in place against a clear Success Path.
Our membership is now around 1900 members. We are slowly rebuilding back up to our peak with Success Path-centered action plans.
Our members are happier, less overwhelmed, and still sharing with their teams and networks. We’ve setup a waitlist and a new free community group and are nurturing that group with continuous value between launches.
We’ve also been referred by direct sales leaders to their corporate brands and now have five corporate clients whom we support with varying degrees of coaching, exclusive membership-based content, and keynote speaking.
TRIBE saved my business.
I don’t think I’ve ever said this about a course or program, but TRIBE literally saved us. I had no idea what I was doing wrong. Truly a victim of “I didn’t know what I didn’t know.”
Through Stu McLaren’s TRIBE, I learned and fixed the following:
- How membership strategy works, and why it’s so urgent for business owners in this moment
- How to create the Success Path that my members need
- How to reduce member overwhelm
- How to create the right pricing strategy
- How to reduce attrition
- How to build a launch strategy with value and urgency
- Why a closed vs. open membership model works better for my business
- How to market with clear value that focuses on what my members are seeking.
If we had continued at our then-attrition rate without TRIBE, I’m quite sure I’d have given up already. Instead, my membership is thriving, my community members are happy and deeply embedded in our culture, and I can create things like this video.
Do you need Stu McLaren’s TRIBE?
Is recurring revenue and financial stability a part of your business plan? Do you want to learn from the best?
Then yes. You need TRIBE.
I won’t lie… TRIBE is a lot of work. We were able to do it all within just a few months while running an existing membership. Basically, we turned our car into an airplane while it was flying down the road at 80 miles per hour.
And you can too.
The Suite Tribe Partnership
I am a proud Tribe affiliate and am thrilled to share my own Tribe bonuses in 2020. But first, you need to grab Stu’s FREE “Launch and Successful and Profitable Membership Site” workbook and register for his free TRIBE workshop.
Then come join me in Social Boss Collective on Facebook where I’ll be sharing my own TRIBE bonuses:
- The exclusive launch planner and calendar that we created and used, that followed TRIBE’s model
- A graphics pack of Success Path templates (Canva or PicMonkey)
- A graphics pack of launch images (Canva or PicMonkey)
- “Monetize Your Social Strategy” video course to expand upon your membership
- A Mastermind group and weekly group coaching call for the 8-week duration of TRIBE
- An exclusive 1 on 1 coaching call with me as you work through the TRIBE coursework
It’s a Suite Tribe bonus pack that is going to change…..your…..business. Just like it changed mine.
Let’s get started!